Wednesday 13 June 2012

Chia seed gel

I have been adding Chia seeds to my food for a while now, as I am aware of its high omega 3 and fibre content but I have recently found many new exciting ways to use Chia thanks to my new book! Thank you to my sister-in-law Patrizia for thinking of me when she saw this book at Chapters....



It contains a ton of useful information about Chia and the benefits of this "super seed" and also has many recipes.  I add it to my food on a daily basis and I will continue to do so (add it to yogurt, salsa, guacamole, tuna and egg salad, scrambled eggs, salads, baked goods, sprinkle over nut butters...the list is endless!) but I have discovered "chia gel" and will start using that now as well.



You make "chia gel" by combining one cup of water with 2tbsps of chia seeds and whisking them together.  Let it sit for 5 minutes and then whisk again.  Let it sit for another 5 to 10 minutes and you will find that it forms a gelly like substance as the chia swells.  You can keep this gel in a covered container in your fridge for up to 2 weeks.

You can eat it by the spoonful if you like before meals as it will decrease your appetite while giving you a good dose of omega 3 and fibre!

You can mix it with your favourite spreads and salad dressings...nut butters, cream cheese, salsa, guacamole, dips for veggies etc...this way you use less and save calories and get omega 3, protein, and fibre as well! You can't go wrong! It will also fill you up and you will eat less...helping those who want to lose weight!

DO YOU ENJOY BAKING BUT WANT TO CUT THE FAT IN YOUR RECIPES???

Another amazing way to use this gel is by substituting it for fats in your favourite baked good recipies!! You can substitute it tablespoon for tablespoon for butter or oil in your recipes!! So if your cookies call for 8 tablespoons of butter, you can use 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of chia gel and it will not alter the taste or texture of your baked goods! Save calories, and fat and add tons of healthy omega 3 and fibre!!! Wow! I can't wait to try this!!!



You can find Chia seeds at almost all grocery stores but I buy my Chia seeds at Costco (in the vitamin section).

With 5 grams of fibre, 2 grams of protein and 2 grams of omega 3 per tablespoon, tastless and odorless with a nice crunchy texture, you can't go wrong with Chia! Give it a try!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment